SISON SEES PRES. DUTERTE'S EAGERNESS TO RESUME PEACE TALKS IN USE OF STRONG WORDS
The Communist leader has made a choice – he will not respond in any hostile manner, unless the Duterte administration is once more backtracking.
Jose Maria Sison, also the chief political consultant of the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP), shows optimism with the work the negotiating panels have already done in preparation for the resumption of peace talks.
In making the statement, Sison refers to the back channel consultations, consensus building and bilateral drafting done by the NDFP and the government of the Republic of the Philippines.
He issued this after President Rodrigo Duterte has once again used strong words against him while delivering a speech at the inauguration of Davao River Bridge Widening Project on Thursday.
After hearing the same threat in several occasions, Sison has learned to receive the “kill” expression as a term of endearment, he said “as in some American comedies.”
Rather than blocking them, Sison sees, in the use of strong words, President Duterte's eagerness to return to the negotiating table.
For him, the best thing to do now is for both of them to allow and encourage both panels to continue their preparation for the resumption of peace talks and make substantial progress as soon as possible.
In a cabinet meeting early this month, Presidential Adviser on Peace Process Jesus Dureza said he and Chief Peace Negotiator Silvestre Bello III had already informed President Duterte that his clear directives for the resumption of peace talks are being relayed “across the table”.
This is as informal talks between the two panels have already took place in Europe and were seen to have initial positive results.
Meantime, Bello assured that they are doing their best to meet the 60-day deadline set by the President.